Monday, July 13, 2009

counter terrorism

Let me get this straight. The CIA director, Leon Panetta, comes out a few days ago and says (paraphrasing) : "oh we found this HORRIBLE secret operation that the Bush administration started and we shut it down. Don't worry we shut it down! Oh and we may have to look into criminal charges." So they let it sit for a few days and let you dream up all the evil masterminded things Bush and Cheney could have done. What on earth could it be? Must be pretty bad, right?

So I read this morning that the program was designed to capture or kill Al-Qaida leaders, like to go after them on individual strikes or assasination missions or something (?). They apparently were into the planning and possibly the training stages, but it never got off the ground.

Uh... so how was this illegal? I mean REALLY? What kind of insane smoke-screen bull...corn are they pulling here? How am I supposed to be mad at the Bush administration for starting this program? Is that not what we EXPECTED the government to be doing after Sept 11, 2001?!?

Are you kidding me? I assumed, as a regular citizen not entitled to briefings from the CIA, that this kind of thing was going on. I expected it. I mean I REQUIRED it of my CIA. I thought, day in and day out our spooks were constantly planning ways to off or capture Al-Qaida.

If anything, I'm not mad at Bush for "lying" or Cheney from "deliberately witholding information from Congress". I'm I guess more mad that HOW IS IT THAT THEY NEVER GOT THIS PROGRAM OFF THE GROUND????? I THOUGHT THAT WAS WHAT THEY WERE DOING THIS WHOLE TIME!!!!

So apparently shooting Al-Qaida with predator drones and bombing them from semi-reliable intelligence was Plan B, and since they never got Plan A off the ground, that's how they've been doing it.

Are we really this exposed as a nation? I'm beside myself. Please tell me I've misread this report or some piece of information was left out. Like they forgot to say "oh and the program involved killing or capturing Al-Qaida leaders, but it involved using babies as detonators, killing dolphins, and possibly strangling the bad guys in their sleep with baby kittens as garottes."

No comments: