Friday, January 9, 2009

Date Night

I'm trying to blog here in reverse order so I don't forget too much, so I'll start by summarizing last night. Then I'll work my way back to New Years, Christmas, Thanksgiving.

Last night was date night. They're never planned, but they're wonderful.

It was a long night. Amanda left for work. The babies, Bryce, and I played outside for a while. Mason is quite a driver of his Lightning McQueen car. He speeds along and when a car comes, you say "car coming", and he immediately pulls off the road and waits for the car to pass. Then you say "ok it's clear" and he gets right back to driving up and down the street. He even offroad's it, and that car actually has some pretty good horsepower for an electric. Bryce and Mason had races ... Bryce drove the John Deere truck. I had to get onto Bryce though for trying to shove Mason up onto the curb. They were just getting a little too physical. Aspen is a doll. She played on her pink scooter, which she won't push herself yet. She just stands on it and smiles while you push her and she says "weeeeeee!" Gosh she's so huggable.

Then we piled in the car and went to Walmart for groceries. We stopped at McDonalds on the way in because they hadn't had dinner yet and shopping is nooooo fun with hungry children. Aspen got BBQ sauce all over herself. Mason ate my burger while I wasn't looking. I got half of it at least :-). We got out of there in an hour and a half, according to Bryce, "record time". The babies played in the garage with Bryce while I put the groceries away. When I finally got the groceries put up, it was about 8:45 so they had a bath, we watched some Handy Manny, and it was off to bed by 10:00. I talked to Dad on the phone. He informed me that there was a national championship football game on and I said "oh, it is Thursday, isn't it?" Crazy that the college game of the year draws little attention from me. I guess I've got a lot going on.

I waited for Amanda to get home from work and when she got there I'd already had 3 beers and was busy organizing my tools and hanging shelves. We sat and talked in the garage until 2:00 a.m. It was wonderful. These nights we call "date nights". On occasion we actually go out, but more often it's when I stay up late with her and we get some quality time together, just the 2 of us. I'm a little hungover this morning but it was soooo worth it.

No comments: